After Heart Cath

After Heart Cath

Monday, September 6, 2010

Worst Day of My Life

So a lot has gone on in the past 3 months that could make any Mother's head spin.  6 months ago was his night stay at the hospital for a virus and he needed oxygen where they heard his "heart murmur" 3 months ago was his first appointment with the Pediatric Cardiologist to find out something is wrong with the right side of my sons heart and there needed to be more tests.  You'd think that would be the worst day but it certainly is not.  One week later was his sedated echo which took far too long to get him to sleep and told us that we had a very very sick little boy.  He had a big hole and most likely Pulmonary Hypertension.  Still not the worst day.  One week later they were putting Adam under, cutting small incisions in his legs and putting catheters into his heart and lungs.  It took hours, I paced and felt soo sick waiting to hear that my baby was ok and what the outcome for him looked like.  It was confirmed that he has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension and a Septal Defect too large to close with a catheter so he will need open heart surgery and only time will tell how he does on medication, what his quality of life will be and if we can ensure he has a healthy life.  One would think that would take the cake, and it still makes me queasy to think about but the worst day of my life was the other day.  My Monkey of a Son decided he wasn't going to listen at all on Friday and I was at my wits end.  I sent him up to his room to go play with his friend and 2 minutes later the huge crash happened.  I have baby proofed everything, or so I thought, all the doors were closed and his room is where they are allowed to play when upstairs.  I jump up and run into his room to find him trapped straight back under his dresser..... all I could say was oh my god which cause my husband to go from a saunter to an all out run to get to his room.  His dresser weighs at least twice as much as he does and he was pinned right up to his chin.  Thankfully my husband was there and I was on the floor talking to him because as my husband lifted the dresser off of him I saw that both his ankles were trapped in between the bottom drawers, I had to yell for him to stop and try and get him unlodged.  If it was just one of us home we never would have known about his ankles and he would have probably gotten a very bad injury.  He didn't move for about 5 mins, all curled up screaming.  It was terrifying and we didn't know what to do, all we knew was that if we moved him and he was really hurt we could make it worse.  He then started to get up and we knew that his back and neck were ok.  He climbed into my arms and then not long after walked away.  He seemed dazed because his lamp hit his head so I brought him to the ER.  Thankfully he sustained no injuries what so ever, amazing.  I realized then that at any point my son can be taken from me just like that and it scared me sooooo bad.  Now everything is bracketed to the wall and that won't ever happen again.  I came to realise that he is a fighter, not even a dresser full of clothes hurt him and that his disease won't take over so easily.

1 comment:

  1. Kids are amazingly resilent. I'm sorry that happened to him.

    ReplyDelete